You can have your competencies recognised by becoming a registered addictions practitioner with dapaanz. Competency for registration is assessed according to the Addiction Intervention Competency Framework. All dapaanz members, regardless of status, are subject to the Code of Ethics.
All practitioners need to be registered provisionally before applying for full registration.
These are the steps to register as an addictions practitioner
Step one - provisional registration
Requirements for provisional registration
- Qualification requirements are either:
- An applied bachelor degree (or higher) in addiction studies, or related applied health or social science degree (eg. nursing, psychology, social work, medicine, counselling)
Applied means it includes a practicum with a minimum of 120 hours of clinical practice.
Recognised applied addiction qualifications can be found here
- Te Taketake Diploma in Applied Addictions Counselling
- Experience requirements are:
- At least six-months post-qualification experience as an addiction practitioner (minimum 100 hours of clinical work of which at least 75 hours must be direct client work), under the supervision of a dapaanz accredited clinical supervisor who will attest to your clinical skills.
Step two - full registration
Requirements for full registration
- At least 12 months provisional registration (minimum 1,000 hours of clinical work of which at least 500 hours must be direct client work), under the supervision of a dapaanz accredited clinical supervisor who will attest to your clinical skills.
Qualification requirements, if eligibility for provisional registration was with a non-addictions specific degree
- Completion of an approved addictions qualification that covers the addiction specific competencies in the Addiction Intervention Competency Framework is required. A list of these qualifications can be found here.
We also have an endorsement for addictions support workers. While recommended, you do not need a qualification for endorsement as support worker, but you do need to be under the supervision of a dapaanz accredited supervisor.