Some frequently asked questions…

What’s in it for clients?

They can see that the person they are seeing is a member of a professional association, works according to professional standards under a Code of Ethics and is competent to practise.

Can I be a member of more than one professional association?

Yes, of course you can, but you will need to adhere to both Associations Codes of Ethics and Rules of Membership.

When service pays the fee can the service transfer the membership to a new person in the same role?

No. Membership belongs to the practitioner no matter who pays for it.

What are the benefits of being a registered member DAPAANZ?

Your clients, colleagues and employer have assurance that you are competent to practise.

What if I have membership of another professional association?

You can retain other memberships as well as being a member of DAPAANZ. Some employers may only reimburse you for one membership.

Registered Competent Practitioners taking leave of absence

Registered competent practitioners who suspend clinical practice for such as maternity leave or taking up non-clinical positions can apply to the Executive for approval to suspend their registration for one year. They will then pay only the membership fee for the year of their absence. Their names will be removed from the register. At the end of the year (or close to) they can apply for reinstatement. Periods of longer than one year but no more than two, will be taken on a case by case basis. The Executive can request a new application or certain conditions to be met for reinstatement.

Who can qualify for a student fee?

To qualify for a student fee, you will be undertaking addiction-related study either full or part time. You do not qualify if you continue being paid your full salary from your employer.

What if I can’t get to enough courses to earn CPD points?

You don’t have to study or do courses to earn points. The reflective journal is worth 50 points and your personal development plan is worth 20.  Remember the journal is an account of 2 or 3 practice interest issues a year. Points can also be earned through in-house training, case presentations in-house, providing supervision, having your work peer-supervised and more.

What happens if insufficient renewal points are earned?

Each case is reviewed.  Some get re-assigned to a lower level, some get a warning, some have lost their registration altogether; some have been placed under a mentoring scheme; a few, where there has been good reason, have been given extra time to complete or resubmit a reflective practice journal.  So no one size fits all.  The process is usually a communication between the association and the practitioner and their manager.

What is your position on Supervision?

Dapaanz believes in and supports the importance of supervision for practitioners engaged in addiction interventions.  Dapaanz advises that supervision should be provided regularly and this would be determined by the complexity of the work being supervised.  Supervision should be provided at the least by an equally experienced practitioner, preferably by a more experienced and knowledgeable practitioner and preferably by someone who has been trained in supervision.  Whether supervision should be provided internally or externally to the agency is a matter for the employer.  Whether supervision should be provided in group or individually is again a matter for the employer but the context of the practice being supervised should act as a guide.  Supervision is about supporting and guiding the practitioner in the work for which they are accountable rather than for the personal development of the practitioner which should be sought privately.